The student news site of Lincoln Christian School

The Herald

Creative Writers: Creating History

Jenna Thompson, Staff Writer

Mrs. Kennedy’s class is helping to put imagination back in the LCS curriculum with the language arts department’s newest creation: creative writing. When that eighth period bell rings at 2:44, eight students trickle into her classroom to begin doing what has never been done before at Lincoln Christian. Mrs. Kennedy says this class is the first time at Lincoln Christian that students have been allowed to express themselves through written word. The students are quickly adjusting to the laid-back atmosphere of the class, which is a relief from most of their everyday classes.

“Writing, for me, is a catharsis,” Kennedy says, which is a process of releasing one’s emotions. Because of this, she expects that it will “allow students to see each other express themselves in a different way.”

What kinds of things can we expect to see from the students? Nearly everything, from plays to political writing to anything the students can come up with themselves, a class with no set rubric leaves nothing out of the realm of possibility. The only rules in this class are to get out of your comfort zone, tap into your creative side, and share your work.

Speaking of sharing their work, the students are currently working on publishing a book that is compiled of their best pieces. These books will be printed and sold to whoever is passionate about writing and interested in donating to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. All the profit goes to that charity, which the students collectively decided on.

Our own Herald will be dedicating a column to the works of the creative writing class. The beauty of this process is that all LCS students will be able to read their peers writing and see each other in a different way. Mrs. Kennedy wants her students to see the impact of their writing that are sometimes personal, sometimes opinionated, and always creative.

In her own words, “The work doesn’t end when you hand it in.”

The debut of this class has been a total success thus far. These students are a living part of school history in every aspect: charity-wise, their collaboration with the Herald, and all the material they will cover. Welcome, creative writing students, to the Herald family. Congratulations on breaking new ground.