The Herald

Coaching with a stroller

Amanda Meers, Staff Writer

There is a new addition to our LCS cross country family. Her name is Bekka Morgan. Bekka and her husband, Nate, moved from Williamsport, Pennsylvania to our very own Lincoln, Nebraska just in the last 4 months when Nate was offered a job at a new church plant known as City Lights. They, along with their 11-month-old son, Roman, have made a quick adjustment and are getting to know the city, whether it be exploring parks, going to coffee shops, or discovering our many different running trails.  

Bekka, as an excellent runner herself, was quick to jump in and help our team where it was needed. She has been a positive encouragement to us during both good and bad days. She ran both track and cross country in high school and in college with an impressive mile time of 4:39 as her best. She also coached a cross country team at Lycoming College for the 2 years leading up to the move.  

Bekka actually came to trust in God after an injury following high school that stopped her from running. She was in a very dark place because her running and success in life is what had kept her going and she never fully saw her need for God. This injury is what helped her to stop idolizing other things and to focus on Him. After that, she made some new friends who helped her grow closer to God and she is now living her life for the Lord. 

However, Bekka isn’t the only one making an impression. Her little boy, Roman, often accompanies his mom to practice, whether it be relaxing in a stroller on our long runs or crawling around the football field as we do our workouts, everyone can’t help but wonder whether he will follow in his mom’s footsteps.  

As this season begins, I am excited to get to know Bekka even more and to learn from a great new coach.