The student news site of Lincoln Christian School

The Herald

The Brazen Adventures of A Local Ceramic Paint Shop: Now A Trilogy

Jenna Thompson, Staff Writer

You’re not seeing triple; a new location of Paint Yourself Silly opened up by Southwest High School making it their third location in Lincoln. The new location opened in the middle of September this year. When asked about their business, a sales associate said, “October, right before Halloween, is usually our dead month.” She expects business will pick up soon and that being by the high school will help.

Walking into the very last suite of that strip mall (where Rocket Fizz used to be) means finding a room very similar to their Pioneer’s location. The color scheme and design elements are all there, but the set-up might remind most of a self-serve restaurant. The “check-out” counter stands at the head of the room, and to either side are stations. The immediate left is filled with ceramic options, and to the right is a new twist on an old concept: the paint-pouring station. Once a piece is chosen to paint, someone behind the counter will lead you to the direction of the paint area so you can pour your own colors. Now and never before, they have no limit to how much paint you can get, meaning if you’re anything like me, you’ll be going back up there and pouring and re-pouring several times!

The booths and tables are set up like the dining area of my favorite Mexican restaurant, and the clerks feel similar to waitresses. When I went, they kept coming over and bringing new glasses of water, but only to wet our brushes, of course.

I felt like the sales clerk was right, it wasn’t as busy as I remember every other Paint Yourself Silly being, but I think very little people know about the new location. Neither of the people I brought with me were aware of the new opening, and no one in my family had heard either. To be honest, had I not been assigned this article, I wouldn’t have known about it myself. It is a bit awkward being the only customers there, so if you’re planning on going anytime soon make friends with the sales clerk, or bring plenty of friends!

The best part of this new Paint Yourself is how close it is to my home. Living by SouthPointe is hard sometimes, because it seems like you have to choose between two worlds of businesses that don’t really reappear on the other side of town and vice-versa. If anyone’s curious, I painted a pot to put a new plant in. I highly recommend the eggshell color with rainbow speckles called “Frosted Pop-Tart.”