The student news site of Lincoln Christian School

The Herald

From Hurricanes to Hope

Amanda Meers

Over the past couple months, the topic of hurricanes hasn’t been far from our minds. As Nebraskans, we don’t have much cause to panic at the news of a coming hurricane other than family and friends being affected by it. However, for the southern states, it was an entirely different story. Millions of people were forced to evacuate their homes, leaving everything behind and in some cases, even their pets.

Special rescue teams were sent into the rising waters to save any animals they could find and later reunite them with their owners, or put them up for adoption. According to CNN, about 15,000 pets were rescued by the New Orleans SPCA but over 90,000 were never accounted for, and approximately 600,000 were displaced or died. However, the ones who were found are making an impact on people all over America.

These animals have been sent to various states and shelters all over the country to be put up for adoption. Some of these states include: California, Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, and Illinois.

It is sad to think of so many animals who are homeless however, in a recent interview with the well-known Mrs. Farup, she said, “Any rescue with a good story draws attention…so I’d say they’ve got a bit of an edge”.

As someone who has adopted 2 rescues, fosters dogs, and works with a rescue known as “All Hounds On Deck”, Mrs. Farup is familiar with the help taking place in Nebraska for these animals. She told me the Omaha Human Society collected crates and kennels to take down to the human shelters for people who wanted to keep their animals

with them and so people could easily transport rescued dogs and cats. Some of the other items collected were leashes, collars, and food items. Mrs. Farup also said AHOD committed to taking in 6 dogs from the hurricanes. One was from Harvey and the other 5 from Irma.

As we see the aftermath of these hurricanes, it can be very discouraging, but we can look to God for comfort and know that He is with us even in these hard times.