The student news site of Lincoln Christian School

The Herald

Being Farup

(Three journalism students interviewed our principal. This is one of three articles that came from it.)

Mr. Farup. We all know him. Every morning we hear his voice over the morning announcements and by afternoon he’s praying over us at assemblies. Many have seen him get angry, rejoiced with him in their victories, and watched him tear up (at least) a few times. Because of these things, I thought I had our principal pretty well pegged. Then he came into our journalism class, and I wasn’t so sure anymore.

I saw a different side to the confident, fearless leader of our school. My intentions were to ask him about the Crusader Way, the new code of honor for our Lincoln Christian Crusaders, but I ended up with a completely different story instead.

“Could the new Crusader Way be potentially perceived as legalism?” I asked, ready to challenge.

“Yes,” Mr. Farup admitted. “Transparently, I’ve been frustrated with the school and the direction we’re going.  I thought, ‘I have to do something or I’m not getting the job done here.'” His voice grew soft and sincere as he said, “A change needs to be made. The Crusader Way is a small part of that.”

Did you catch that? The frustration, the anxiety, the urgency? These are all emotions, I concluded after talking with him, that Mr. Farup must feel regularly, maybe even on a daily basis. With the weight of the school on his shoulders, Mr. Farup must answer to everyone who has a problem with LCS. That means dealing with the rowdy students, the general public, (and yes, students, even your nagging parents.)

What might that be like? I wondered. Is Mr. Farup essentially just a vending machine of solutions for every problem our begetters can throw at him? I didn’t know it then, but he would soon answer my question a few days later during chapel.

If you were paying attention to his speech, you might’ve caught some of the same emotions I’d mentioned earlier. He began his chapel with a story. It was his first day going back to school, and already it seemed someone wanted him to fix something, he said.

This made me think about how many things our principal had to fix in light of the Crusader Way. It illuminated the whole purpose. His words, “I thought, ‘I have to do something or I’m not getting the job done here,'” echoed in my mind as I sat down to write this story.

I came to the conclusion that, whether you’re a Crusader Way enthusiast or not, this has given us the opportunity to look inside the mind of the administration and frankly all our staff members. It’s easy for all of us to see the people who handle us as oppositions or rule enforces rather than the human beings they are. If nothing else, this new step is a signal to the students that our leadership team genuinely cares about the direction of the school, and one man is at the epicenter of it all.

The tears, the hard-work, the prayers: that is the essence of being an LCS principal. That is what it’s like Being Farup.