The Herald

Choo Choo Hill

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choo Choo Hill

Amanda Meers

Reaching the end of October also means reaching the end of the cross-country season. With new personal records every week and many victories, the Lincoln Christian team was definitely one to watch. As the season progressed, they were able to define their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to running and improve on them. They finished the season stronger than ever and by the end, even shin splints couldn’t stop the guys from getting first at districts.  

The hardest course this year is said to be our very own Pioneer’s Park. With slopes running up and down the course, the seemingly infinite loop, and the always challenging “Choo-Choo Hill” near the finish, this was a race that had to be run with nothing but determination. Although we had the advantage of running the course in the past a couple times, it was definitely a challenge and the coaches had to be encouraging us the whole way to look straight ahead and pass the teams (that they had specifically picked out) one by one. The race was rewarding in the end with a runner-up for the girls and the guys winning as team champions. 

On October 12, the teams took their places on the line at the District Meet in Minden, NE ready to run the course. The guys were able to win 1st place, sending them to State the next week. The girls ran a hard race and were only 9 points away from making it as a team but were still able to send one runner, freshman Halle Hueser, to represent. However, the team coach, Mark Canfield, says, “The girls squad this year is very young and unexperienced, yet made incredible progress in a short time,” He is confident that by next year, both teams will be running at the state meet.  

Overall, this season proved to be a great success. The end of the season is bitter-sweet as we say goodbye to four senior runners but look forward with excitement to next year’s team.