The Herald

Making Decisions: It’s Their Forte

Jenna Thompson, Staff Writer

Graduating can be stressful, especially considering that many students have to make the hard choice of where to further their education. There are many things that factor into such a major life decision: cost, location, and academics to name a few. Many of Lincoln Christian’s own have weighed all their options and have finally come to a decision, and three of those shared their stories with the Herald. 

Olivia Burgher is looking forward to attending the University of Nebraska Lincoln in the fall of 2018. She’s excited, not only because she picked up the Regent’s Scholarship for her academics, but for the opportunity to make friends, learn about new cultures, and enjoy the wonderful student union. Her excitement comes with a little bit of nervousness for life in the real world, she says, as she fears the obstacles that surround managing finances. She hasn’t picked out a major yet, but is interested in graphic design and is exploring her other options. Overall, the proximity to home and the fact that many of her family members attended/are attending there make it the perfect college for Olivia. 

While Olivia stays closer to home, Lexi Gilmore is crossing state lines; again, that is. She moved to Nebraska from Colorado last summer, and now that she’s graduating, plans to return to the lofty Rocky Mountains she missed so much. Fort Lewis is six hours away from where she lived before, but when she visited the small town of Durango, Colorado, Lexi says she fell in love with the landscape. While she’s studying psychology, she’ll enjoy sight-seeing, being independent, and hopefully a friendship with a considerate roommate. (The roommate part makes her a bit nervous.) She won’t be in Colorado forever; five years from now, you can hope to find her in Portland as a successful counselor. 

Some seniors choose to go the more traditional route while continuing their schooling…and then there are others. Garret Conrad had a very acoustical visit to Trans-Siberia University recently. The musical vibes attracted him to the college where he intends to dedicate his life to singing in the Vocal Performance Department of the college. Garret says the harmony between the students is undeniable and the staff has great dynamics. It’s clear from the interview he’s nervous the whole experience will fall flat, but he did his best to keep his composure. As long as things don’t end on a bad note. Five years from now, you can find him in the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, singing along with the instruments to some of their greatest hits, such as “A Mad Russian’s Christmas” and “Queen of the Winter Night.” We all can reminisce about the time the famous rock group came to the Pinnacle Bank on November 23rd, 2013 and have hope that maybe after Garret completes his three-year pre bachelor’s degree he’ll request they make a special return to his beloved hometown.

Lexi Gilmore                                                                                                        Olivia Burgher

Garret Conrad