The Herald

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas

U.S. Army

U.S. Army

Jenna Thompson, Staff Writer

The time for merry-making and mistletoe mingling has begun. By now, many students are looking up from their laptops and notes with tears in their eyes. It’s hard to imagine that Christmas festivities have begun with all the homework and tests you’re likely preparing for, but I can say with confidence as I write this in the wee hours of the night that Christmas break is right around the corner and you can do it. However late you stayed up last night, you’re almost there. Like any stressed student, I make a point to look forward to what is to come when I’m drowning in stress. To ease my pain and yours, here is a list of things you can add to your Christmas to-do list this break.

1.Christmas Lights 

It’s been a family tradition of mine for quite some time, but my family heads down to Texas for the holidays, and naturally, everything is bigger there, (light displays included.) Regardless of where you’re headed, there’s always somewhere you can go to browse Christmas lights. If you don’t mind the drive, Creighton always does a “Santa Land” display, much like the College Station one that my family sees at TAMU. The event is definitely family friendly, equipped with a Santa and games for younger children. Older ages will enjoy the Holiday Lights Festival in Omaha which advertises itself as “40 blocks of dazzling lights” in downtown Omaha. The event schedule is posted on Omaha’s Holiday Festival of Lights’ website. 

2. Hot Cocoa 

Yes, we all know how to scoop Swiss Miss into a cup of hot milk, but nothing is more satisfying than creating your own, piping hot cup of warm cocoa complete with whipped cream, drizzle, and marshmallows. There are many homemade recipes for this creation, but the simplest one I found called for whipped cream for serving, three tablespoons of cocoa powder, six ounces of melted semisweet chocolate, three tablespoons of sugar, and three cups of milk. Drizzle some warm chocolate sauce over the whipped cream, sprinkle some cocoa powder for decoration, marshmallows if you’re particularly adventurous, and voila! The best cup of hot chocolate in all the land.

3. Mix Things Up 

We’ve all seen those awkward family Christmas card photos, and we’re probably all a part of a semi-awkward family that we’re forced to associate with sometime over break. I say, face the awkward and take a flick of your own. If your family looks eerily similar, perhaps matching cat sweaters is what you need. If your family struggles to take a decent picture without getting in an argument, don’t break up the fight, let it happen. Your family pet(s) might enjoy getting in on the uncomfortable hugging, overly-touchy, disturbed smiles, too! Still struggling to paint a mental image of the photo of your dreams? Take inspiration from some real-life family photos I’ve attached.

You have every right to be as stressed about finishing the term as I am, but before you get yourself too worked up, think of the Christmas lights, steaming hot cocoa, and all the awkward family encounters this holiday seasons and smile. Even if it’s through tear-stained, droopy, bloodshot eyes.