The Herald

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Review

Star Wars: The Last Jedi was one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. The film picks up almost directly after the events of 2015’s The Force Awakens. No movie is flawless, and The Last Jedi is no exception. However, it was one of the most exhilarating films I have ever seen. Many moments, in particular some action sequences, left me amazed. The movie also had many humorous moments, but still had a very serious and emotional story. As a whole the movie was very satisfying and only made me want to see it again. 

The cast of this film also deserves praise. In particular Adam Driver, who played Kylo Ren, was very good. Kylo Ren is such a conflicted and complex villain in this film. This movie especially helps the audience to understand why he is evil and makes you even start to care about him. Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, and Daisy Ridley as Rey were both also very good in their roles.   

The only issue I have with The Last Jedi is that is has some moments that drag. In particular, one sequence involves two characters going to another planet to find a certain person. This sequence is necessary to the plot, but I found myself bored during this part of the movie.  the movie had some other minor moments in which I was disappointed, but they are difficult to discuss without spoiling anything.  

The rest of the movie was very interesting and compelling. The film was full of surprises and moments that amazed me even at my second viewing. Director Ryan Johnson, did an amazing job of continuing the epic saga and creating a very impressive and satisfying movie.