The Herald

What makes a good teacher?

Jack Snyder

Teachers are significant a part of everyone’s life. All people grew up being taught how to read, write, and complete basic mathematics. Whether it be negatively or positively, teachers have impacted everyone in some way. Most adults could tell you about their favorite and least favorite teachers that they had as a child or young adult. When I look back on all my education I can recognize the best teachers that I had and identify the common traits and qualities that made them so effective in education.

Personality is one of the most important qualities of a good teacher. It takes a certain type of person to be a good teacher. They need to be comfortable in front of the class and bring a degree of enthusiasm to the classroom. I have had teachers that are boring because of a lack of enthusiasm. They just act like they do not care and do not want to be there. Teachers who have low energy and a lethargic attitude can make any subject boring. These teachers put you to sleep, which may seem nice at the time, however, you are not learning in this situation. Some teachers do not understand that their attitude can rub off on the students. An energetic teacher will keep students engaged and involved in class.

Organization is also  put in their best effort. These teachers also bring this disorganization to their teaching style. They bring no structure to the class period and often leave students confused and with a lack of interest.

Although organization is important, variety is also a key aspect of teaching. As a student I am most excited when we try something new or do an activity in a new way. Classes like this add a level of excitement to learning that helps the students to learn without even realizing it. When a teacher teaches with the same exact format every class period, it creates a very boring atmosphere. A lack of variety in the classroom is a common trait for all teachers that I have not liked throughout my education.

Discipline is another trait of a good teacher. A good teacher is not only disciplined themselves, but he or she also exercises classroom discipline very efficiently. A good teacher is in control of the classroom. They do not let the students force them to act or behave in a certain way. A teacher should also be able to enforce the rules on the students. Many teachers simply give countless warnings and threats to students and do not ever actually do anything. Students can tell when a teacher has lost control of the class or when they are making pointless threats. The best teachers have respect form the students because the students know that the teacher actually means what he or she is saying. A teacher should be a strict enforcer of the rules. A teacher should be strict but not too strict that the kids hate the class and do not learn at all. Teachers that bring a relaxed and laid-back attitude provide the best learning atmosphere, form my experience. My favorite teachers have always had a balance of strictness and relaxation that creates the best learning environment and a class that I actually enjoy.