Running to Finish the Race

Back to Article
Back to Article

Running to Finish the Race

Sophomore Amanda Meers (center)

Sophomore Amanda Meers (center)

Yearbook Staff

Sophomore Amanda Meers (center)

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Sophomore Amanda Meers (center)

When someone thinks of a track and field team, they often immediately turn down the idea of joining the team. Somehow the idea of running multiple laps around a track or even one is not a very appealing idea. This was my attitude and thoughts toward the team as well.

Going into this season, I expected the worst. I couldn’t imagine running a mile (or four laps) around a track as a race, this seemed like the worst way to spend your day…until I found out there was a 2 mile race I would be entered in as well. I dreaded track for months in advance and only agreed to join the team so I could improve my running time for cross-country. However, the season couldn’t have been more surprising.

The practices were something I quickly began to enjoy and I found myself excited for the weekly meets. This is something that never occurred even during cross-country season back in the fall. Throughout these past couple months, I have also greatly improved my running time for both the 1200m and 3200m races. I have been able to get weekly PR’s and can run the races without dread. These are changes that would not have been possible if I had refused to join the team.  Overall, my attitude towards track changed very quickly and I am glad I made the right decision.

All through the season, I have built great relationships with my teammates and learned to honor and glorify God in all that I do. Our team verse this year is Acts 20:24, “…finish the race, …testify to God’s grace”. This is a great reminder that we should represent Christ in all that we do and give glory to him.