The Herald

Noodling on Leadership Groups

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Adriyanna Allen

Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work according to Seth Godin a TEDx speaker. Hopefully everyone in the student body is in a leadership group. Leadership groups are new year, introduced by our principal, the inspiration for the groups came from Wheaton academy in Chicago. He said, “I’ve been there a couple times and they have very effective “advisory groups,” not the same but similar so that’s what gave him the inspiration. There are 5 leadership group, which are chapel, global, local, school/spiritual, and social/event tech.  

According to Mr. Farup the goal of creating Leadership groups was to provide students with an avenue and way they could have an impact and lead in the school. “I wanted kids to have an input, and then have an opportunity to truly lead, so what came about is just giving students an option to do that.” he said. “It’s a volunteer thing it’s not mandatory, I want people to serve because they want to not because they must.”  

He was worried he wouldn’t get kids to serve but he is very encouraged now because there is a very high number of people who signed up. After the first meeting he knew there was going to be some issues and stuff to work out because they’re kids, kids should lead and organize, there were a lot of great things that were proposed and talked about.  

The leadership groups took time to develop. Last Mr. Lockyer had started a few groups, but it wasn’t really well developed, and they fell apart because the kids were very busy. He tried to meet throughout the school days, but it didn’t work, because the kids were busy, but then last spring Farup said, “I’m going to go all in.” He decided he was going to sacrifice time out of the school day to engage with the groups.  

Chapel leadership group already existed. One new group that got created was the tech group. It was created was about an hour before a meeting Mr. Farup had to go to.  Nathan Lanka (sound guy) walked into his office to talk about something and then the thought just popped into Mr. Farup’s head about there being a group where kids could help out in the technological parts of the school.  There are now 12 people in that group. The other groups just fell into place.  He wanted the student body to have a more global mindset, and same for local and social.  

Mr. Farup is overwhelmed with students who want to serve, and he is excited to see what will happen. “I am very encouraged, I haven’t seen this type of sacrificing time and having courage for the school in a couple years,” he commented. By the end of the year Mr. Farup hopes that we will look back and see there were really great things that the students proposed, planned, and executed.  

About the Writer
Adriyanna Allen, Writer

My full name is Adriyanna Marie Allen. I am in 10th Grade, and I transferred from East High School. My nickname is Driy (dree), but only my close friends...