The Herald

New Parking Paradigm

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Tara VanVliet

Last year the parking lot was closer to a Grand Canyon replica than a place to park your car. While the pseudo Mario Kart course was fun, the fear of the popping your tire and flash flood zones was not. At the beginning of the summer, students, teachers, and parents alike were excited to experience a smoother parking lot.   

According to Dr. Kassebaum, the Lincoln Christian School’s superintendent, a better paved parking lot was highly requested.  He said, “We honestly take the stance we are here to collaborate with the families. We sent out a survey in the spring and we asked them to identify what was most important to them and parking lot and safety and security came back resoundingly number one and two.”  

Besides the obvious need to fix the parking lot based off the potholes and the expanding of the asphalt itself, the traffic pattern also had to be fixed. The reason: “Completely student safety,” Dr Kassebaum said. “We talked with some of school families and we came up with a plan that would mitigate some of the most dangerous areas for elementary kids.” The plan included better pathways for the elementary school students to walk on, and stay out of the way of the driving cars.  

The pathways are adding an additional level of safety and security to the elementary side, but on the high school end of the parking lot, high school students are having a hard time driving in the new traffic pattern. All of the driving parts of the parking lot becoming two way traffic has led to serious problems.  Emily Kraai, a senior, expressed concern on the new two way roads, “Inserting a ton of two ways in very small lanes wasn’t very effective. Also I don’t think it is very safe because it is hard to see when you are pulling out to see if a car is coming in your direction.” 

The “very small lanes” are of legal width, according the Lincoln standards of any parking lot in this city, which requires all two ways to be 24 feet wide. However, Ralph Van Vliet, an estimator at Kiewit Construction Company, points our that while the parking lot is of legal requirements that doesn’t always work well in every situation. In order for a parking lot to run smoothly there has to be consideration of the size of the cars that drive in that area, and plan accordingly to fit those vehicles. But with the excess of Tahoes, Escalades, and Yukons passing through the entrances, trying to maneuver through the parking lot with such long cars is difficult.  

Besides blind corners and two ways, another concern is the issue of speed. Dr. Kassebaum said he has “heard of requests for speed bumps.” However, Ralph Van Vliet suggests that speed bumps might not be the best solution. “At this point in time,” Ralph Van Vliet said, “it would be more expensive to come back and put in speed bumps.” But he said that there are other solutions to the speed issue, like adding a stop or yield signs, or even a sign showing the speed limit in the parking lot. “Why isn’t there a stop sign at the bottom of the hill on the high school side? Why is a car allowed to get that much speed before stopping?” 

Corrections are still being added to the parking lot. The day of my interview with Dr. Kassebaum, Mr. Sitzman, the overall repair man of the school, was painting additional arrows to the parking lot for a better understanding of the new traffic pattern.  

Overall, the school is appreciative of not having to dodge potholes and is looking forward to the changes to come to the school.