The Herald

I Never Saw Another Butterfly

Adriyanna Allen

I am a new student at Lincoln Christian School, I recently joined the drama/ theatre production.  This was a new thing for me. I didn’t really know what I was getting into at first and I didn’t necessarily want to join but I am so glad I didn’t back out. The production of the play, the friendships, and just the coming together of the play was an unforgettable experience.  

Drama takes a lot of hard work and determination. I don’t think people know how crazy it gets behind the stage and at practices. For example, one time when I was at practice, we started throwing Skittles into each other’s mouths.  Some people would push each other around on a wheeled box.  Frequently sophomore Alex Bingham could be found lying on the top of the bleachers, and only popped up when called upon.  Many people would wear vampire teeth during practice, both backstage and onstage. 

At my first practice I was really nervous and didn’t felt like I belonged, but as I came more often, I started to become more interested.  Practices would consist of prayer first to start us off, then we would do warm ups (crazy 8’s, energy ball, etc.). Then we would get into the play, and if you weren’t on stage, you were either watching or working on your lines with a group, so you would be ready.   

As we progressed and got closer and closer to the show, our directors would get more stern about us paying attention, so we could learn our cues and our lines.  The kids would start to listen more, and the play was starting to come together day by day.  

Kids, adults, makeup, clothes and phones were everywhere. I remember hearing people yelling about returning eyeliner and mascara. There were tons of different songs playing and where ever you went people talking over people. It was a loud chaotic mess, such as “Yo, could you pass me my hat?” “I need a makeup wipe!”  or “Yo, where’s my scarf?”  There were also many kids running around helping with costumes and makeup. When everyone was prepared and ready for the play, everyone would start to get jittery and talkative (myself included). I remember being backstage and talking to one my friends who was really nervous. She thought she was going to choke on stage and mess up her lines. I just remember thinking to myself that I should pray for her. So, I pulled her back right before she went on stage and started praying for her.   

When I went on stage for the play, I don’t think I have ever been so nerve-wrecked before. I had almost fainted right before I went on but thankfully I didn’t and that was thanks to Katie Mills. I was really out of it and super wobbly as if I was about to pass out and she randomly had said something about the name Tricia. I had really focused on that name that she had said and then I went on stage and actually did a really good job. It might sound silly, but I feel like if she wouldn’t have said anything I probably would’ve passed out.  

After the show was over, we of course had to have a cast party to celebrate our good works. Everyone was already super hyper after the play, so it was really fun. Driving to First Evangelic Free was eventful. I was in the car with a couple of my drama friends and we were playing music really loud while Tara Van Vilet was trying so hard to keep her patience with us. When we got to the church it seemed like everyone got coffee cause as soon as the music came on people were really hyper and jumping all around the place. It was like seeing a whole bunch of toddlers on tons and tons of sugar. We probably danced for 2 hours straight.  

When it was time to clean up and go home it looked like a tornado had hit the church there was popcorn, chips, and pop bottles everywhere. We got everything cleaned up and headed home. Everyone looked so tired and worn out it was great. When I got home, I was so tired I fell asleep with all my clothes and my lights on. It was a great night but also super long and exhausting.  

Drama was such a fun experience and if you are ever thinking about joining you totally should you won’t regret it.  Even though you have to get up at 6 in the morning sometimes and stay until 10 pm, it is still totally worth it because of the memories and experience you will have with acting.  

About the Writer
Adriyanna Allen, Writer

My full name is Adriyanna Marie Allen. I am in 10th Grade, and I transferred from East High School. My nickname is Driy (dree), but only my close friends...