The Herald

Uriel Hernandez Says Nebraska IS For Other People

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isabella Winkels

Uriel Hernandez, Kicker for BCU

Bryan Harvey, Assistant Athletic Director for BCU

“It was like being in a big bowl of red,” says Uriel Hernandez, BCU kicker.  “When they let go of the red balloons at the first touchdown, I was just amazed.” 

Two weeks ago, on October 27, Bethune-Cookman College drove up from Daytona Beach, Florida, to play our Nebraska Huskers on our by-week.  Driving more than 14 hours is a new thing for the BCU Wildcats, and the differences were obvious, whether it was the “chilly” 71 degree weather or the thousands of miles of cornfields.  “We felt so welcome and at home,” quotes Brian Harvey, Assistant Athletic Director at BCU.  “Back at Daytona, its more of a beach and racing lifestyle.  It’s more formal there, but at Nebraska, we felt at home.”    

Harvey goes on to explain how different the schools are.  “We had played big schools before, but nothing like the Cornhuskers.   When we play Florida state, we know people there and on the team.  But here we didn’t know anyone.  Everything was just so much bigger, the locker rooms, the campus, the stadium.”   

“One of the biggest differences was probably the tailgating.  In Daytona, tailgating is a big deal.  Almost all of the tailgate food is seafood, and we never have a game before 11:00, because everyone is still in bed and we want to give everyone enough time to tailgate.  Often, you would find gators right next to your table.  As it gets dark and people start to leave, the gators will crawl up to the table and start eating the food.” 

“It was the love of the fans, man,” says BCU kicker Uriel Hernandez.  “Usually the fans trash talk about us, but NE fans did nothing but show good sportsmanship.  Playing in front of 90,000 people, man, it was just so different then what I’m used to.   When I was walking to the locker room after the game, I looked up and all the pathways to get down to the stadium were packed.  Everyone wanted a picture, or to talk to me.  The tunnel was roaring and people told me good job.  Even though we lost the game, I made an impact.” 

Brian Harvey shared a fun story about an experience in Omaha.  “Our equipment was coming, and they were pulling in to Omaha, and some people saw the logo. They asked if we were the team playing NE, and we said yes.  Then the people offered to pay for gas, and you know, we drive a big vehicle, gas is like 100 dollars.  These people paid for all of it! They also offered to pay for snacks too, said good luck tomorrow, and then left!  Our driver called me right afterward, and I was like ‘what did he want,’ and the driver said he didn’t want anything.  We loved it so much.” 

“I’m a senior,” says Uriel Hernandez in half-disbelief.  “I’m graduating soon, and I think I want to apply for a graduate assistant at NE.  I’m majoring in psychology, I want to be a sports psychologist.  I got interested in psychology through sports. I can sense when athletes have something going on, it just comes naturally to me.  I want to help people.  If there was one thing I could tell everyone, I would want to tell them work hard because dreams do come true and you don’t have to look at obstacles in your way, going over that obstacle is the victory.  Life is a roller coaster, but no matter what, move forward in a positive direction.” 

About the Writer
Isabella Winkels, Writer

My full name is Isabella Iola Winkels, but I go by Izzy.  I am a freshman here at LCS, and I have been homeschooled my entire life until now.  I have...